Foo Fighters to receive MTV VMAs' first-ever US Global Icon Award
SINGAPORE (August 20, 2021) - After a long and storied history with MTV, Foo Fighters will receive the first ever MTV “VMAs” Global Icon Award at this year’s show, airing LIVE from Barclays Center on Sunday, September 12 at 8PM ET/PT.
High-resolution headshots here.
Previous “VMAs” stats:
First nominated in 1996 for “Big Me” in four categories (Video of the Year, Best Group Video, Best Alternative Video, Best Direction); a total of two “VMAs” wins (1996 won Best Group Video “Big Me”; 2011 won Best Rock “Walk”).
o Most recently took home a Moon Person in 2011 for “Walk” (Best Rock Video)
Foo Fighters have had many memorable “VMAs” moments over the years, including:
- “VMAs” debut performance in 1997, performing "Monkey Wrench" and "Everlong" during the pre-show.
- 2007 – Foo Fighters Fantasy Suite show; performing multiple hits which also included guest stars Cee-Lo, Motorhead's Lemmy and System of the Down’s Serj Tankian.
- BIO: The 1995 release of Foo Fighters' self-titled first album began the ascent of Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Chris Shiflett, Pat Smear and Rami Jaffee to their current standing as the last great American arena/stadium rock band. Along the way they’ve won 12 Grammy Awards, sold tens of millions of records and created anthems like “This Is A Call," “Everlong," "Monkey Wrench," "My Hero," "Learn To Fly," "All My Life,” “Times Like These," "Best Of You," "The Pretender," “Walk,” “These Days,” “The Sky Is A Neighborhood" and more. Foo Fighters’ monolithic catalogue includes The Colour and the Shape, There Is Nothing Left To Lose, One By One, In Your Honor, Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace, Wasting Light, Sonic Highways (which shared its title with the double-Emmy-winning Grohl-directed HBO docuseries), and Concrete and Gold. Foo Fighters' globally anticipated 10th album, Medicine at Midnight, was released February 5, 2021 on Roswell Records/RCA Records—Preceded by the chart-topping groove of “Shame Shame,” the brain-rattling “No Son of Mine,” and the epic swell of “Waiting on a War,” Medicine at Midnight has been hailed as "Brighter and more optimistic than anything they’ve ever done" (ROLLING STONE), “One of Foo Fighters’ best albums of this century” (WALL STREET JOURNAL) and "another winner” (MERCURY NEWS).
Previously Announced “VMAs” News:
The 2021 “VMAs” will take place at Barclays Center on Sunday, September 12 starting from 8PM ET/PT. Fans in Southeast Asia can catch the awards show on the MTV Asia channel in a same-day delayed primetime premiere at 7pm (WIB) and 8pm (SG/MY/PH) on Monday, September 13.
- Camila Cabello, Lil Nas X, LORDE, Machine Gun Kelly and Olivia Rodrigo are set to take the 2021 “VMAs” stage. Additional performers to be announced soon.
- Can’t-miss world premiere performances from Lil Nas X (“Industry Baby”), LORDE and Machine Gun Kelly (“papercuts”)
- Camila Cabello returns to the “VMAs” stage for a performance of “Don’t Go Yet”
- Olivia Rodrigo will make her “VMAs” debut with “good 4 u.”
- Justin Bieber (7) and Megan Thee Stallion (6) lead this year’s nominations, closely followed by Billie Eilish, BTS, Doja Cat, Drake, Giveon, Lil Nas X and Olivia Rodrigo (5 each). Full nominee list here.
PRODUCTION CREDITS Bruce Gillmer and Den of Thieves co-founder Jesse Ignjatovic are Executive Producers for the 2021 “VMAs.” Barb Bialkowski is Co-Executive Producer. Alicia Portugal and Jackie Barba serve as Executives in Charge of Production. Wendy Plaut is Executive in Charge of Celebrity Talent. Lisa Lauricella is Music Talent Executive.
# # #
About MTV Entertainment Group:
MTV Entertainment Group reaches over 1.4 billion young people around the world across streaming, social and linear platforms in 180 countries and with more than 725 million social followers – making it one of the preeminent youth media companies in the world. Connecting with its audiences through nine iconic brands including MTV, Comedy Central, VH1, CMT, Pop, Logo, Smithsonian, Paramount Net and TV Land, MTV Entertainment Studios produces award-winning series, movies and documentary films.
About BSE Global:
BSE Global manages and operates Barclays Center, the Brooklyn Nets, its NBA G League team, the Long Island Nets, and its NBA 2K League affiliate, NetsGC. The company also includes the WNBA’s New York Liberty. Through programming, marketing, sales, and operations, BSE delivers dynamic content and experiences for audiences.
Download PDFDownload PDF
About Paramount Asia
Paramount Global (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic studios, networks and streaming services, its portfolio of consumer brands includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Paramount+, Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others. The company delivers the largest share of the U.S. television audience and boasts one of the industry’s most important and extensive libraries of TV and film titles. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, Paramount Global provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions.